Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday, February 15, 2010

Whew! Have you heard of Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D)? Well, yesterday and this morning I was suffering from Night-Shift S.A.D. I was exhausted and woke up this morning not feeling well. Moreover, I had pizza yesterday and didn't take any lactase enzyme pills. I was too lazy or tired or whatever to ask my husband to bring me the pills upstairs last night.

I ran two miles this morning. I was exhausted emotionally and physically from my night shift work this weekend. I work every Friday night and every other week I work 12 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. This was my Friday/Saturday week. My stomach was still unhappy. Due to stomach pains, I was really dragging and had to do 30 second run/walk intervals.

A man in a home improvement truck was working on a home nearby. As he was leaving the area in his truck he stopped to ask me how many laps I'd done. He imagined that I was doing many laps. I told him I was only doing two miles today and he looked impressed. I'm looking forward to Wednesday's run which will be 12 laps, a six miler. I'm looking forward to the day when I can run away from lapping and run to Publix or to the park. For now I must stay close to home to be near my three blessings.

Near the end of my run I had my second confrontation with an ugly dog. This dog was much smaller and I was not afraid this time. I shouted, "Go home! Leave me alone! Don't mess with me!" with my thumb on the button of my MACE for Dogs." The dog cowered away. Joy!

I crashed at 6:30 PM due to not eating enough protein and carbs for lunch. From 1 PM to 5:30 PM I had not food whatsoever. I can't do that, especially on a running day. A friend of mine was here and I was distracted. I ate at 5 30 PM but that wasn't soon enough. I prepared dinner for my husband and our children and collapsed into bed for two hours.

Next time if I'm visiting with a friend, I will snack on almonds or cranberries or a little tuna to avoid crashing.

I've been snacking since I woke up a couple of hours ago. Thankfully, God is giving me the self control to snack on healthy foods and not resort to my old stand-by of Ben & Jerry's or Klondike bars.

It's been a rough couple of days. Tomorrow's a new day.

God's mercies are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:22-24)

1 comment:

  1. Every couple of days, I work nights. I agree -- there is a night shift SAD because you don't really see the sun. I always feel guilty for sleeping the day (and sun) away.

    ReplyDelete