Sunday, March 28, 2010

Change in Routine

I infected our computer with the Trojan virus. The wicked virus has been removed and I am glad to be back online with an update. We had to have our computer restored and had to buy another copy of Windows 7.
Sadly, I am not running right now. The flesh on the inside of my knee is sill inflammed. I refrained from running last week. The jury is still out on what I will do this week.
I have been walking; doing sit-ups; doing push-ups off the wall; lifting 3 and 5 pound dumbbells;riding on our stationary air recumbent bike; walking; doing water aerobics; and Sunday morning at 3:30 AM I shot some hoops from court to court at work on my 30 minute break. I ice my problem area as needed during this time of not running.
I love riding the stationary bike. I am able to ride about seven miles on it in 30 minutes and I can ride up to 21 miles an hour. I think that the use of the stationary bike on my non running days has been very good for my stamina. Perhaps that is why I unexpectedly shaved three minutes off my race time last week.
My troubled area does seem to hurt more when I get off the stationary bike though so I ice it before and afterward. My husband advised me to take it easy on the bike but that is so hard. I love cardio!
I don't know how to swim and I had a hard time trying to exercise in a jacuzzi. I thought the warm water would be good for my troubled area. I tried to kick off the side of the jacuzzi and it was very difficult for me. It felt like my thighs weighed a 1000 pounds. I'm thinking about taking swimming lessons this summer.
I purchased a basketball last night so I can keep shooting hoops this week without having to share my sons' basketball. I'm going to take the baseketball to work with me too. The basketballs at work all need air. Fortunately, we have a gym in the psychiatric hospital where I work and I can do something besides walking in the gym on my break at work. When you have months of running behind you it's a little boring to just walk around a gym. Ha.
I purchased some eight pound dummbells and a foam roller. I'm not sure but I think I have a tight IT band in my right leg. I'm planning to use the foam roller to relax that band and other areas of my body.
This week I plan to continue with weights, shooting hoops, and doing intervals on the stationary bike. Thereafter, I hope that I will be able to run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment