Saturday, March 20, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust 3/20/10



We received this carry keepsake bag/backpack before our race. The bag has a small hole on the front where you can put a cord through the bag from your ipod. Sweet. It's very light and would be great to take on long runs. We received four of them since both me and kids were running.
We had a great time at our race today.
We did something different before this race. We got up at 5 AM and we ate breakfast. I think that was a very good move. I ate too much of a breakfast. Even though the race started at 7:15 AM I got a side stitch about 2 1/2 miles into the race so next time I will eat a little less.
My son and I finished in 38:56 and our pace was 12:32. I never thought I would see numbers like that next to my name. At home, we have been running 15 minute miles.
Our last race results on January 9, 2010 were 41:55/13:30. We were very pleased with our score.
To my astonishment we had to go up a hill twice. Who knew there would be a hill in FL race? The hill was a bridge. We walked up the bridge most of the time on the first loop. On our second loop we ran up that some hill.
The temperature was about 70 degrees.
We took about 6-9 walk breaks. That included three stops at water stations.
The venue was spectacular. We ran thru beautiful a beautiful neighborhood downtown, passing yachts and exquisite cars.
There were quite a few dogs running too.
One of the highlights for me was the 5 mile racers who started 15 minutes ahead of us and were looping their way back to the finish line after 24 minutes.
Another highlight was a dad encouraging his one year toddler to make a few more steps across towards the finish line.
We stopped at a Publix booth after the race and also received very nice weekly activity logs and some great coupons. At Publix tonight, instead of $9 in coupons I had a total of $17 in coupons. It pays to be in shape, out and about at community events.
A lot of people were encouraging our 10 y/o. One lady explained to him that we would have finished more quickly but the Gator jacket I was wearing slowed me down. Ha. You see Jimmy got too hot and I donned his Gator jacket around my waist during one of our walk breaks.
Bruce and Bekah ran a 1/2 mile Kids' Fun Run. When Bruce realized that this Kid's Fun Run was more formal than the one he ran in January he became very frightened and said he didn't want to run. I had to pay for this Kids' Fun Run and told him to get ready because he WAS going to run. Bruce and Bekah did a great job and they both finished more quickly than I thought they would. Bruce was delighted that he went ahead and ran the race.
In the late afternoon at home I ran one mile to try and prevent stiff muscles.
Our 10 y/o and I mused that we both felt we could have continued running after the race. I reminded him that I'd tried to get him to sign up for the 5 mile race instead of the 5K race and he smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment